- Gule Wa Mkulu and
- Tchopa, have been proclaimed by UNESCO as Masterpieces of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.
- Chisamba by the Chewa,
- Uyeni by the Ngoni,
- Chilimika by the Tonga and
- Likhuba by the Sena
Arts and Crafts
Craftsmen weaving and selling beautiful rattan-type furniture and other crafts can be found on most main roads.
But a visit to the popular Kungoni Centre for Art and Culture is highly recommended. This is located 80 kilometres south of Salima on the M5, houses the Chamare, a living cultural museum. Some of the works of the craftmen at Mua is found at the Vatican, Buckingham Palace and other palaces around the world.
Other pieces of art can be found at Nkhotakota and Dedza Potteries; and in all cities and towns.
Cultural Places to Visit
- A lot of Lodges surrounded by communities offer cultural tours to the nearby villages. Apart from cultural tours provided by accommodation sites, some of the cultural places one can visit whilst in Malawi.
- Blantyre, has the original mission stations and centres of excellence for handicrafts and also the Society of Malawi Situated in Mandala House, the society protects preserves records of the country’s history.
- Zomba nand Mangochi have a number of historical buildings, monuments and museums.
- Nkhotakota is of historical significance and has a renowned pottery
- Karonga is the site of an interesting historical and archaeological museum
- Monkey Bay/ Nkhata Bay/ Nkhotakota shows the link between missionaries, with sites of the Livingstonia Missionmarked by graves at Cape Maclear and Bandawe, near Chintheche, before it reached its final and current location near Chitimba in the north.
- Likoma Island has the magnificent missionary built Cathedral, St. Peter’s Cathedral, the same size as Winchester’s!
- Dedza has a lot to offer from the Chongoni Rock Artarea, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Dedza Pottery, where artists and craftsmen can be viewed producing a variety of items that are found all round Malawi and sold for export, as well as the Mua Mission which showcases Malawian culture through the cultural museum, traditional dances and other artistic skills.
- Thyolo has the tea estates with fascinating colonial histories.
- Lilongwe, one can visit the historical war memorial tower and Kamuzu mausoleum.
Popular Cultural Events
- Chewa Heritage Foundation,
- Karonga-Chitipa Cultural Heritage,
- Mang’anja Heritage Foundation Mulhakho wa Alhomwe,
- Mzimba Heritage Association ,
- Ndamo sya Ayao,
- Umhlangano wa Maseko and
- Uraha Foundation